Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Dick <urdick2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:10:19 GMT

Richard Foote wrote:

> "Dick" <urdick2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>All,
>>     With Oracle 10g , It looks like the role of a DBA is getting
>>diminished.  I had a meeting with the Oracle Account manager for my
>>Company and he said " Now the DBAs can do some creative stuff..Like more
>>on development  blah..blah..."
>>
>>Well, I think it's time to move on to some thing else like ..Aaahh
>>..Well .... been a DBA for 12 yrs...and aahhhh... may be the "creative"
>>UNIX admin...or..
>>
>>Guys , What you all think ?
>>

> Hi Dick,
>
> I remember being asked about five years ago whether there'll still be the
> concept of an Oracle DBA in 5 years due to the introduction of all the
> "goodies" that came with 8i and whether David Bowie will still be producing
> great music.
>
> I replied of course, they'll just be doing things a little bit differently
> and a little more efficiently. They will of course have to learn and adapt
> to doing things a little bit differently and a little more efficiently (for
> which we can be glad). Don't forget how important the "stuff" is that we
> store in these databases.
>
> And of course, David Bowie will still be producing great new material.
>
> I see nothing to suggest my answer then was incorrect and I bet you the
> answer will still be the same in other 5 years .....
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

Richard,

        The latest "move" from Oracle Corp is to transform Oracle, so that it looks like MS SQL server. I have seen every one playing wih MS-SQL and creating databases with one mouse click. So does the management of SQL Server. Looks like our thinking , forecasting and suggestions( Various user groups) about "future Oracle " are in place.

   "Retrieved" the Following Message from Oracle's "hidden agenda". ***
Thanks for the input and everything is automated and also added some intelligence to our server. Now , You highly paid Oracle DBAs can look else where ( May be DB2..) while our sole aim is to beat MS. ***

Dick Received on Thu Sep 16 2004 - 12:10:19 CDT