Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:26:39 +0100

Comments embedded
"Dick" <urdick2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%Nj2d.11253$yp2.6544_at_newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> Richard,
> The latest "move" from Oracle Corp is to transform Oracle, so
> that it looks like MS SQL server. I have seen every one playing wih
> MS-SQL and creating databases with one mouse click.

We use both Oracle and MSSQL at my place of work - and, somewhat unusually, I believe that both are excellent products. Oracle however does not in any sense look like sql server, and Oracle aren't doing much to make it look like that at all. I can only assume that you are referring to the various manageability enhancements in 9i/10g. lets try a few

The various cache advice views - sql server doesn't have them, the cache architecture is different.
ASSM - nope not there.
ASM - noticeably absent.

Or perhaps you intended to refer to performance.

function based indexes - nope.
session history (limited though it is) - missing. a wait interface - nope, not really (there are bits) bitmap indexes - nope.
session tracing from sql - just about with the interface from hell. writers don't block readers and vice versa - sql 2005.

How about availability enhancements
flashback - not there.
logical standby - missing.
log mining - nope.

admittedly you don't have to worry about sizing extents appropriately in either product now....

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA