Re: oracle grid

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:55:18 GMT

gigg wrote:

> anyone can tell me in few words how does "oracle grid" work? which is the

I doubt it. Near as I can tell, the grid is not clearly defined by anyone yet, but there are a lot of organizations trying to capture the imagination of potential customers.

Basically the grid _wants_ to provide computing services in the same way as the phone grid provides communication service, the water grid provides water distribution, etc. One gotcha is to define 'computing service'.

What Oracle seems to be be saying is they have a lot, if not all, of the pieces in place to provide a grid environment. A fair discussion on OTN at http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/grid/index.html and specifically the 'Grid Overview' document.

> mininum number of pcs necessary and what about their system requirements?

Not possible until you define grid. And as far as I can tell, that can only be defined in context of grid-aware applications.

That said, a small grid-capable environment for demo (or small) workgroup purposes could be achieved using:

        2 servers of Oracle Application Server 10g
        1 server of Oracle Application Server Infrastucture (opt)
        1 server of Oracle Database 10g set up as a RAC database

That would allow you to create a grid-aware J2EE-based application that uses an Oracle database for persistant storage.

The beauty of the grid is: with a grid-aware application, adding Oracle Oracle Application Servers into the App Server cluster and Oracle Database Servers into the Real Application Cluster becomes very 'transparent'.

For pure demo purposes with a very light-weight grid-aware application could be done using a single CPU server (roughly 2GHz, 40GB disk, 4GB RAM) but a lot of capabilities, such as load sharing & failover, will not demo.

Eagerly awaiting the flurry of updates and corrections /Hans Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 16:55:18 CDT