Re: switch from file system to raw device

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:02:20 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> You'd better be able to! There is a large chunk of documentation about how
> one converts a single-instance database to a RAC. And, of course, the
> primary requirement with RAC is to have the "data files" on a shared hard
> disk... and traditionally, because of the lack of cluster file systems,
> those shared hard disks were raw.
>
> Therefore, in the 9i documentation at least (haven't checked the 10g
> stuff) there's a large chunk of stuff that's all about how you move
> existing files off a file system onto a raw device.

Are you referring to
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/rac.920/a96600/migrate.htm#1018519 ? (If not, I'd welcome a pointer)

"If you are converting the single-instance database files on file system to raw devices, then copy the database datafiles, control files, redo logs, and sever parameter file to their corresponding raw devices using the dd command on UNIX or the OCOPY command on Windows platforms."

I simply interpreted the OPs question differently - 'switching to raw' and 'moving to a raw partition and changing all the appropriate pointers' were different things in my mind. Thinking about it now - you're right.

No argument at all about using RMAN to do the moves. Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 10:02:20 CDT