Re: switch from file system to raw device

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:00:13 +1000

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/rac.920/a96600/migrate.htm#1018519
> ? (If not, I'd welcome a pointer)

I think that was just about spot-on as a reference.

I was actually thinking of the Oracle RAC courseware, but it's much the same thing:

"The easiest and fastest way to move your database contents from a nonshared file system to your cluster storage is with Recovery Manager (RMAN). RMAN is able to handle different file types, including raw partitions, and so can restore files copied from a standard file system to a cluster file system or to raw partitions transparently" (Chapter 2, page 17).

It sticks in my mind, because I don't think I've ever seen RMAN described as being 'transparent' before!

Regards
HJR