Re: switch from file system to raw device

From: Igor <igor.news_at_merkudelete.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:01:50 +0200

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:17:39 +1000, Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Igor wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>> anyone has an idea, whether I can switch datafiles of Oracle (8.0.6)
>> from file system to raw device (raw logical volume in AIX, e.g.)?
>> Any documentation?
>>
>> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>> Igor

> Well, the answer is that of course you can switch (though I would have to
> say that it is probably more important that you upgrade your database
> version than worry about whether you are running on a file system or raw).
> The real question, I suspect, is 'how'.
>
> To which RMAN comes to the rescue. Use it to copy your filesystem-based
> files onto raw partitions. You will need to read up the details in the RMAN
> manual at http://tahiti.oracle.com. You won't find the 8.0 manuals there,
> because that is an archaic version that has long been obsoleted. But the 8i
> manual for this particular task should do you pretty well -because not a
> lot changed in RMAN between 8.0 and 8i (8.1.7). Anyway: you probably want
> to look up the details for duplicating a database with RMAN.
>
> If you don't want to use RMAN, then dd will probably come in handy. Coupled
> with 'alter database rename' commands, to adjust the pointers in the
> control file, so that they now point to the raw partitions not the file
> system files.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Hi, and thanks for your comments.
So you say, that all I need is to copy file system datafiles onto raw logical volumes and repoint it (or just make logical links)? What about raw logical volume headers? Does dd jump over it when putting the file system datafile onto raw logical volume?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Igor Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 09:01:50 CDT