Re: switch from file system to raw device

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:05:49 GMT

Igor wrote:

> Hello,
> anyone has an idea, whether I can switch datafiles of Oracle (8.0.6)
> from file system to raw device (raw logical volume in AIX, e.g.)?
> Any documentation?
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards,
> Igor

AFAIK, you can't switch and existing file.

However creating a new tablespace that has datafiles in raw partitions, moving the tables, and dropping the original tablespace is always a possibility (except for system tablespace).

Of course a potentially 'better' solution would be to create a 9i or 10g database and transport the data (probably using exp/imp). But we all understand there are thousands of reasons for not moving to a supported version of the database.

However, it's not necessarily a good idea to switch. This day and age, many file systems are fast enough that the supposed performance advantage of raw is minimal. (I've even heard 'negative'). Probably although worth investigating though.

Check metalink for other notes. ;-Q Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 09:05:49 CDT