Re: checkpoint_change# values

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:06:13 +1000

Miori wrote:

> Hi all,
> Is there a script or view or aother mean to display the
> checkpoint_change# values of control file, each data file header,
> database, so as to compare between their values to see whether the
> database is in consistent state or not.
> I know it possible to query v$datafile_header and v$database for these
> values, but what I'm looking for is something that list them all
> together for comparison purposes.
> Many thnx,
> Miori

I must be missing the point here. Since you know how to obtain the information for the control files and the data files, how about simply joining (UNION ALL) the two views?

Something like, just as an example:

SQL> select checkpoint_change# from v$datafile_header   2 union all select checkpoint_change# from v$database;

CHECKPOINT_CHANGE#

            153569
            153569
            153569
            153569
            153569

You will of course want to exclude read-only and offline data files from that lot, because they won't be in synch, but they're allowed not to be.

But honestly: it seems like a lot of effort for no particular reason. Oracle can't work unless the online, read-write stuff is in synch, so checking whether it is becomes redundant. You'll soon know if it ever isn't in synch because there will be error messages by the bazillion, and your instance will probably crash.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 04:06:13 CDT