Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2004 23:05:38 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> Well, oddly enough, 85%+ of users still do. Because it's slick, it's
> smooth, it works (mostly). And everyone else is using it. And (in theory
> at least) if anything goes wrong, there's a bloody great software company
> that will help me sort it out.
>
> It might help, too, that OpenOffice is not the world's most stable
> software, and lacks certain key bits of functionality, for some users
> (ie, me!) at least.
>
> So the same would be true for OpenOracle vs. Oracle. If I need RAC, Data
> Guard, Workspace Manager or Cross-Platform Transportable Tablespaces, I
> would buy Oracle. The mere existence of a free version that lacks these
> crucial features wouldn't stop me paying Oracle hard cash,

Right. I agree that people that seriously need Oracle are going to buy Oracle. WRT them, open sourcing old stuff is neither gain nor lose.

> If all I needed was a multi-versioning, transactional database that did
> the basics, OpenOracle would be a good place to start. But, being (let us
> imagine) based on Oracle version 7 code, there are a good lot of bugs to
> live with, so even then I might feel the need to shell out for the paid
> version.

Or move to a different free DBMS not named "Oracle" :)

> The availability of a free version, in short, does not preclude the
> existence of the paid-for version. And whilst Oracle might lose out on
> the small-time operators and installations, they might take the
> opportunity to enhance their large-scale operations... and charge a
> (further!) premium for doing so... so there's money in it for them, too.

I don't see how open-sourcing old code would aid in the endeavor to enhance their large-scale operations. It pretty much seems like two independent things.

> Alternatively, consider that little companies which start with freebie
> software have a habit of growing up to be big-ish companies that can pay
> good money for their software.

Well, some fairly small percentage of them do.

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to "infect" the
> minds of these sorts of people in the early, el-cheapo days, and clean up
> when the hard cash starts being passed around?

If they really need Oracle1 10g, they will buy it, regardless of what they previously used. If they only kind-of-sort-of need Oracle 10g, then Oracle would only clean up if that growing company had a good deal of loyalty to Oracle. I would contend that companies like that are the kinds of companies that would have been willing to pay in the first place, even when they were small.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB