Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Thomas Kellerer <OSCUQDVXTKFJ_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:16:57 +0200

On 14.09.2004 00:31 Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> I don't think this discussion can be meaningful unless we qualify precisely
> what such features are. Then we can have a parallel debate on what we think
> "enterprise" really means.

Full ACK, I did not want to start any discussion on that. That depends too much on the requirements of each environment.

> But the problem (for me, at least) lies exactly in what you've written:
> Postgres is closing the gap to Oracle by adding these "enterprise
> features", whatever they might be. Re-phrase that slightly: Oracle is an
> Enterprise-class product and others want a share of that market. Now follow
> through on the (slightly-stretched) logical corollary: Oracle is not
> (particularly) interested in the low and mid-end database market.

My assumption (!) is that Oracle indeed doesn't care, because they see a bigger market potential in the "high-end" area. IT departments maintaining a huge server farm are likely to spend more money on licenses and support then departments/companies that simple use an off-the-shelf Linux server to run their bussines...

This decision is up to Oracle, if they feel they don't need to target the low-end/mid-range market, then I don't care. I will continue to choose the product that best fits my needs.

Regards
Thomas Received on Tue Sep 14 2004 - 02:16:57 CDT