Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:11:08 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Glen A Stromquist wrote:
>

>>I'm in the midst of designing a web page for someone I know with a Hotel
>>business, and I can see that in the not-to-distant future if it grows
>>much and they want online booking features etc.. it will need a database
>>of some sorts in the back end, so it'll be time to learn MYSQL or
>>something of the sort, anything but the detestable MSAccess.  An old
>>version of oracle would suffice quite nicely for what I have in mind,
>>but the dollars involved would make it out of the question.

> Precisely, Glen. That sentence "An old version of oracle would suffice for
> what I have in mind" is the essence of the matter. Now why should Oracle
> give that functionality to you for free? Because one day you will want a
> feature that only its latest and greatest products will provide -but by
> then, you're a hooked Oracle-phile.
>
> I've been spending a bit of time in the Suse newsgroup lately (as I think
> you might be aware!), and MySQL has a big mindshare there. I've even been
> tempted to have a look myself.
>
> If you believe that Microsoft is a fool to ignore the threat/challenge that
> Linux poses (as I do believe), then it would be equally foolish of Oracle
> to allow MySQL to reign unchallenged in the 'proper but cheap' database
> market.
>
> Of course it won't happen (I think I said that in my first post). But I
> honestly can't see why not, nor what Oracle has to lose in the matter.
>
> Regards
> HJR
The big threat will come from universities: today students will be tomorrow engineers.

We are using Linux and having fun.
We are programming using gcc as a compiler. We test mysql and postgresql in our laboratories. We create our websites with apache, php and mysql...

Due to this we will suggest these kind of products when we will be asked for advices.

I'm not against oracle. It is a very reliable product... and I'm not asking it for free...

But let us see the source code (even the old one) and study it!

This would help oracle and the community in the long run...

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe