Re: [Q] how to online drop tempfile???

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:23:05 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:

[...]

>>>See! I knew I could have looked it up. Did you have to? Or is this piece
>>>of syntax something now you feel in your bones?

[...]
> But dropping a data file *at all* has never been possible. Suddenly (well,
> OK, two versions ago!) we get the ability to drop tempfiles. It just
> doesn't seem right to me!!
>
> As I say, call me old-fashioned!!
>
> Regards
> HJR

I cheated, I looked it (drop tempfile syntax) up in a script I have that uses it.

Dropping and adding tempfiles is actually one of the steps for creating a logical standby in 9.2. (I'd post a link but access to on-line Oracle docs has been broken from my location since yesterday -- 404 page not found errors -- but I have an off-line copy). See section 4.2.16 of Dataguard Concepts and Administration (9.2).

OT note: I know the consensus on 9i logstdby is that it isn't completely suitable for disaster recovery purposes, but (as I've posted previously) it can be used effectively for other things like reporting.

--Mark Bole Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 09:23:05 CDT