Re: [Q] how to online drop tempfile???

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:04:25 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
>>>Sorry for the delay.   vacation-induced.  I'll try not to make that
>>>mistake again! ;-)
>>>
>>>alter database tempfile '/u01/oradata/xxx/temp03.dbf' drop;
>>>alter tablespace temp add tempfile '/u01/oradata/zzz/temp08.dbf';

>> See! I knew I could have looked it up. Did you have to? Or is this piece
>> of syntax something now you feel in your bones?
>>

>>>No accounting for syntax consistency ....   "drop this_thing",
>>>"this_thing drop", "add this_thing"  (at least, no "this_thing add")

>> Exactly. That's why I like to stick, wherever possible, to syntax I know
>> and love.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>
> Not that inconsistent. There is this use the the same syntax too:
>
> ALTER DATABASE TEMPFILE '/u02/oracle/data/lmtemp02.dbf' RESIZE 250M;

Hugely inconsistent!

Datafile resizing has always been a 'alter database datafile ... resize'. The tempfile version is pretty much identical.

But dropping a data file *at all* has never been possible. Suddenly (well, OK, two versions ago!) we get the ability to drop tempfiles. It just doesn't seem right to me!!

As I say, call me old-fashioned!!

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 02:04:25 CDT