Re: OMLET SPAM

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:03:31 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:52:03 -0700, Daniel Morgan
>> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>Nothing but spam folks ... nothing but rude, inconsiderate, immature,
>>>uncultured spam posted by a spammer desparately in need of psychological
>>>support services.
>>

>> We all know that, and your persistence in responding to his crap is
>> becoming quite annoying.
>>

>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

> I have seriously considered that fact. The alternative to responding is
> that he gets free license to spam our group forever. And do you think
> for one minute he would stop?

Well, given that responding to him ("countering his spam") hasn't stopped him, don't you think it might be worth a go?

> So I/we back off labelling his garbage as spam and other spammers take
> away what lesson from this?

I don't think they (a) have or (b) will. I see no great upsurge in spam just because Omlet is posting. If there was, then let's deal with it as it arises. Not all spammers are as persistently indifferent to the group ethic as Omlet has been.

But it is evident that refuting Omlet has not helped any, so one may as well stop trying. It is equally evident that he craves an audience, and delights particularly in winding up both you and David. Don't give him what he wants and he may, just may, crawl off into the sunset. Like you, my confidence in that outcome is not high, but then at least I'll only have to ignore his drivel, and not your responses to it as well. It will save me 50% of my work, in other words.

> That is you spam often enough we just throw
> in the towel and let them spam us to their heart's content.
>
> If you believe ignoring him will make him go away I will gladly do so.
> But that is not my belief system so even though I ignore all of his
> childish provocations I still label his spam as spam ... each and every
> time.
>
> The jury is out on this one. What do other regulars think? I will gladly
> try anything that is not illegal or immoral as I have no ego involved in
> dealing with an obviously mentally disturbed individual.

I don't think you can label him like that, either. And I'm sure doing so doesn't help the situation. God knows what his motivation is. It sometimes strikes me he's more anti-America-in-Iraq than anything else. But whatever it is, labelling his posts as spam is not helping the situation.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Sep 11 2004 - 21:03:31 CDT