Re: Windows ORADIM -startup -sid .... command

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2004 04:00:00 -0700

"Luca Li Greci" <luca.ligreci_at_libero.it> wrote in message news:<RAS%c.1855$6b4.54168_at_twister1.libero.it>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a beginner DBA, my experience is limited to windows environmet.
>
> My doubt and question are on ORADIM command and the windows service
> Oracle<ORACLE_HOME><SID>. ????
>
> In windows environment why have to check if this service is started before
> type in sql*plus the startup command ??
>
> Isn't startup command (in sql*plus) that allocate memory structure (SGA+PGA)
> and startup background processes (DBWn + LGWR + CKPT .....) ?
>

> Thanks for your comments,
> Luca

In Windows you need to start the Oracle service before you can actually startup the database. The background 'processes' are implemented as threads within the Oracle service. Without the service you can't do anything.
Just to make life easier the -startup switch on the oradim command automagically starts up the database for you.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 06:00:00 CDT