Re: Oracle 10g installer seems to use the wrong host name

From: Sam Talebbeik <sam777t_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2004 11:58:27 -0700

"tED" <theom_at_gte.net> wrote in message news:<ReCZc.1027$xr1.135_at_trnddc04>...
> Had somewhat of the same problem until I found (deep in the doc's) the
> instructions to create a local TCP loopback connection before installing 10g
> . The Oracle example uses 10.10.10.10 for an address (non routed)
> MS!@# has different 'how to' instructions for 2000/XP. Search for help on
> 'loopback connector'. The instructions are not totally correct.
> Don't forget to update the 'hosts' file with your picked address and your
> hostname, then . . restart.
>
> You would be better off installing with the DSL modem turned OFF before
> 'restart'.
>
> HTH
Thanks for the information. This may be what I need. Since this is just a standalone test and training system, I need the system to pickup the "static" name of machine itself and perform a loopback.

I am still concerned that there may be a problem with the 10g installer. Even after I am connected to the Internet the command "hostname" returns my machine's static name not the dynamic name assigned to me by the ISP. Why the installer decides to pickup the dynamic name when the hostname command returns a static name is still beyond me. It maybe a bug it may not be. I wish there was a way to tell the installer what machine and domain name to use during the installation. Is there anyway to do this ?

I did reinstall without any connections to the Internet. However after I get connected to the Internet, the DB console again wants to use the dynamic host name. Is there a parameter to tell the DB console what host name to use ?

   Sam Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 13:58:27 CDT