Re: SAME config

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:28:13 -0800

I certainly thank you for your explanation, Hans. I appreciate the point that it isn't really necessary to agonize over placement of data, indexes, etc., and that we can obtain most of the benefit of doing that with a simple "one-size-fits-all" scheme which is known to be suboptimal, yet is "close" to optimal, and very robust.

I didn't ask my question clearly. I was mainly wondering about the meaning of "stripe width" in the SAME paper. My first impression is that it means the size of the stripe on each individual disk. (Thus, with 6 disks, the total stripe size would be 6 MB). It just seemed a little large. But, then that is consistent with causing the seek time to be small with respect to the transfer time.

Thank you, again.

DG