Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 02:51:51 GMT

Further to this, the tnsnames.ora on the client machine contains:

PTS1A =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = fcc02)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = pts1.xyz.ca)

    )
  )

PTS1B =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = fcc02)(PORT = 1531))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = pts1.xyz.ca)

    )
  )

Based on your suggestion, the only discrimination that should be necessary is the port.

If I understand the listener correctly, it listens on a specific port for a request for a specific service. It will then look up the relevant information from the service or sid being passed from the client.

I believe that your suggestion of discrimination by Oracle Home would require the Oracle Home be [optionally] passed from the client. So far I have not found any way of entering the Oracle Home into the TNSNAMES.ora file on the client.

BTW: the listener.ora files were originally created as part of the dbca database create, and only 'B' was manually edited to remove the IPC/PLSextprc and change the port to 1531. The above tnsnames.ora was manually created.

Any other suggestions?
/Hans Received on Sun Aug 29 2004 - 21:51:51 CDT