Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 00:47:22 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<bDwYc.32404$A8.18486_at_edtnps89>...

> I believe that your suggestion of discrimination by Oracle Home would
> require the Oracle Home be [optionally] passed from the client. So far I
> have not found any way of entering the Oracle Home into the TNSNAMES.ora
> file on the client.

My understanding is the listener gets a service name or sid from client and look in its description for this service (SID_DESC). It uses ORACLE_HOME from this description to spawn $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle (for dedicated connections). No need to pass OH from a client.

> Any other suggestions?

When I posted on Friday I had two databases with the same SID and two listeners for them on the same host. I was able to connect to the right instances but software/databases were installed in different accounts. It shouldn't matter but to make sure I repeated this in one account. Setup is similar to yours and it still works (Oracle 9.2.4, HP-UX 11i). I actually copied soft, not installed it from scratch, but I relinked it and check that the search order for the shared libraries is a correct one.

Your setup looks OK to me (is sid pts1 in lowcase though? it is in your listener.ora). I would double check unix environment for the sessions you start the listeners from: ORACLE_HOME, TNS_ADMIN, PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH (not set in my case).

Some of your problems may be because you run one of the listeners on a default port 1521. Both instances with identical SID's get registered with the listener.

> /Hans

/Igor Received on Tue Aug 31 2004 - 02:47:22 CDT