Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:51:21 +1000

Igor Laletin wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>> Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>> > It will be an administration nightmare wouldn't it?

> Yes, of course, but OP didn't talk about real life, right? It's a
> theoretical question. Nobody wants to inflict such a situation on
> himself.
>
>> It will be an administration impossibility.

>> You and I are both in agreement, I think: it's not actually *possible*.
>> Never mind would it be a good idea.

> It's actually *possible*, at least on Unix. See Fabrizio's email. Yes,
> it's not a good idea but posssible.
>
>> If someone wants to jump through the necessary hoops to prove me wrong,
>> be my guest:

> Nothing to do with the hoops. Why take it personally? It's not about
> _you_. It's about SID's.

I didn't take it personally in the sense you imply. I made a statement that it wasn't actually possible. So whoever made it happen would have proven me, and my statement, wrong. It's basic grammar, really.

And I believe that having to have two ORACLE_BASEs and two different Oracle users to be jumping through hoops. You are, of course, free to differ. And to try the same trick on a Windows machine.

>> in the meantime, it is impossible to create two instances on the
>> same machine with the same ORACLE_SID, and I don't care how clever you
>> get in distinguishing between different installations.

> Well, it's possible on Unix and it doesn't involve words 'clever' and
> 'jumping'.

That's fair enough, as you can read in my reply to Fabrizio's post. The day we stop learning things here is the day I stop posting.

And whilst you might not think it clever or hoop-jumping. I do.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 18:51:21 CDT