Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 27 Aug 2004 14:44:03 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<412f17f2$0$9811$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > On 27 Aug 2004 01:33:43 -0700, ilaletin_at_usa.net (Igor Laletin) wrote:
> >
> >>What if two people (listeners) called two different Marcelo's
> >>(instances with the same SID) in two different rooms (oracle homes)?
> >
> > It will be an administration nightmare wouldn't it?

Yes, of course, but OP didn't talk about real life, right? It's a theoretical question. Nobody wants to inflict such a situation on himself.

> It will be an administration impossibility.

> You and I are both in agreement, I think: it's not actually *possible*.
> Never mind would it be a good idea.

It's actually *possible*, at least on Unix. See Fabrizio's email. Yes, it's not a good idea but posssible.

> If someone wants to jump through the necessary hoops to prove me wrong, be
> my guest:

Nothing to do with the hoops. Why take it personally? It's not about _you_. It's about SID's.

> in the meantime, it is impossible to create two instances on the
> same machine with the same ORACLE_SID, and I don't care how clever you get
> in distinguishing between different installations.

Well, it's possible on Unix and it doesn't involve words 'clever' and 'jumping'.

Regards,
Igor