9.0.2 64-bit on redhat 3.0r2 AMD64 (4-way) 17G RAM

From: Artis Gripemore <wealtheow1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2004 14:25:04 -0700

Please ignore this if the questions of amatuers are not allowed here. I thought that perhaps the rare hardware configuration might be of interest, however.

Thanks in advance.

I have shmmax set to 8G, but I cannot get db-cache_size over 2G or oracle runs out of memory. What have I done wrong?

using--

db_cache_size at just under 2G (and it cannot be increased without failure)
pga_aggregate_target at 4G
workarea_size_policy set to auto
shared_pool_size is 24M
shared_pool_reserved_size is 2M

block size is 2048

(the other settings are quite conservative, but feel free to ask)

I am sure that I am doing something wrong, but I've tried a bunch of different sysctl.conf variations and I still get trouble increasing the buffers. If anyone would like to suggest a sysctl.conf appropriate to the hardware, or show me the error in this init.ora, I would appreciate it. Please ask if you need more info.

Thanks again.

S Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 16:25:04 CDT