Re: Why is a backup of the controlfiles needed

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2004 14:11:18 -0700

"Tom" <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com> wrote in message news:<1093612294.28917.0_at_lotis.uk.clara.net>...
> > Strangely, what I remember most is a descending sense of doom about which
> > one could do absolutely sod all.
>
> funny isn't it that a millisecond after hitting that enter key you get that sinking feeling that no amount of CTRL C will get you
> out of!

Less than a ms: http://www.pseudodictionary.com/ohnosecond

To the OP: Another way to think about control file backups is you need the control file to be more recent than what you have restored in order to "trick" Oracle into wanting to apply recovery. So if you want to restore Sunday's backups and roll forward to Wednesday, restore Wednesdays controlfile and have the archived logs available for Oracle to automatically apply. (Somehow this way of thinking often sets off an Aha! in people).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Highly competitive:  http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9411