Re: How to break a database

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:20:49 GMT

Harry_Boswell_at_deq.state.ms.us wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:50:03 GMT, Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Harry_Boswell_at_deq.state.ms.us wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, What I want to do is test my backup and recovery procedures.
>>> So I'm wanting to come up with ways to break the database.  There are
>>> obvious ways - delete a control file or redo log file, or just
>>> accidentally change some data.  But are there other potential mishaps
>>> I could cause to occur to test the plans?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry Boswell
>>
>>The OS is relevant to your question.
>
> Sorry!
>
> Solaris 2.6 & Solaris 9.
>
> Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9.2.0.5.

Have your reviewed the Backup and Recovery manuals? Especially in the Scenarios chapter of the Oracle9i User-Managed Backup and Recovery Guide

BTW - some manual processes are not possible, or at least not as efficient, as the RMAN equivalent. Hope RMAN has a place in your strategy ...

The main reason for the OS is that Windows tends to exclusively lock files which makes simulating failures difficult.

Some scenarios (yes some are hokey, but they are legit):

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 14:20:49 CDT