Re: how to handle updates to millions of rows

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:06:13 GMT

Peter Mueller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently working on two very big tables (two times 8 mio
> records),
> which I have to process. The problem is the infamous ora-01555 error.
>
> Here is what I want to do:
>
> declare
> cursor for joining two tables (a and b)
> begin
> for row in curser loop
> calculate some values
> insert joined row into a new table (a_b_joined)
> delete joined rows from origin tables by rowids (a and b)
> commit all 10,000 rows
> end loop
> end;

Have you considered sizing your rollback segments to avoid the in-the-loop-commit? Generally considered better for performance, management, and eliminating the problem.

Or better yet, upgrading to use the new UNDO tablespace capability and then sizing properly? Received on Wed Aug 25 2004 - 10:06:13 CDT