Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Don Burleson <don_at_burleson.cc>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 16:19:58 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1093325575.532413_at_yasure>...

Hi Daniel,

> Not going to happen. And if it does ... it will be one of the worst
> configurations possible.

Um, why is using all the available hardware resources a "bad" thing?

Windows only needs 800 meg RAM, according to the documentation.

Why waste it?

> What makes you think Oracle using more RAM is a good thing?

I've increased the RAM on over dozens of 32-bit dedicated Oracle Windows servers (most come with 8-gig RAM these days), and I've yet to see a 32-bit Oracle Windows server that did not benefit from using the wasted RAM. Almost all have "db file" waits as the top-2 timed events.

In most cases using 4GT or AWE can half the disk I/O and greatly improve response time. Of course, you must allow for the HWM of PGA usage, but that's easily computed and you can use-it-all and avoid OS paging.

Do you have a different experience? Received on Tue Aug 24 2004 - 18:19:58 CDT