Re: OMLETv4.1: the Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool is now updated

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:34:54 +0100

>>From what I've read of the Darwin Awards they are always
>>awarded posthumously, since the awardee found a creative
>>way to off himself in a way any rational person would never attempt.

> From http://www.darwinawards.com/
>
> "The Darwin Awards honor those who improve our gene pool... by removing
> themselves from it. Of necessity, this honor is bestowed posthumously."
>
> At one time ('93, '94), that meant a complete removal of the entire branch
> from the gene pool preferrably before the branch is started. Reviewing the
> current rules, having offspring no longer disqualifies the individual.
> Guess things change over time (and I need to stop living in the past <g>).

In order to qualify for a Software Darwin Award you don't need to kill yourself - just engage in activies which kill all chance of success.

So far Omlet has:

  1. Repeatedly Spamed an extremely Spam-sensitive newsgroup
  2. Got into a public p***ing contest with everyone who has pointed out the error of his ways, even though they are the same people who should be his customers.
  3. Hosted pornography on what is supposed to be a product web site. If you work for a company that fires people who watch MPEGs of maked women at work don't click on the 'nice' link on his web site. Oh, and the MPEG isn't any good either - it's secret footage of a womens locker room and was probably done without their consent.

I think any impartial observer would agree that this kind of behaviour is most unlikely to lead to commercial success.

Another example would be that nice man who tried to promote a report builder that only ran on one table by telling comp.databases.oracle.server that he only had one weeks experience with Oracle and that differences between databases were unimportant.

Other possible candidates would be:

Spyglass, for licening their web browser to Microsoft in exchange for a % of the revenues without realising that they were going to give it away for free.

Microsoft, for Microsoft Bob.

etc..... Received on Tue Aug 24 2004 - 02:34:54 CDT