Re: Simulating dataguard maximum availability protection mode in Oracle 9i or 10G standard edition

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:44:00 +1000

Prem K Mehrotra wrote:

> I have never used Oracle's standard edition but may be interested in
> using it because of its low price and its inclusion of RAC in Oracle
> 10G.

This I frankly don't get (and it's Oracle's fault not yours). You like something because it's cheap. And because it includes a feature which requires real resource to make work properly.

It's a dangerous path to go down. If you want RAC, be prepared to pay for it. That doesn't (in 10g) mean you have to get the Enterprise Edition -because there may be legitimate reasons for wanting high availability but without all the Enterprise bells and whistles. But it does mean: don't expect to run RAC for peanuts.

> I have
> several questions on Oracle's standard edition on Windows or
> UNIX/Linux.
>

> 1. Is Oracle standard edition available for Oracle9i? When I looked at
> technet.oracle.com, I saw Standard Edition in Oracle10G but not in
> Oracle9i.

Yes. A standard edition has been available since at least version 8. It doesn't have RAC in it, of course, until 10g.

> 2. I know Oracle Data Guard is not provided in standard edition, but
> standby database can still be implemented since Oracle 7.3.x. My
> question is can standby redo logs be created in standard edition
> (Oracle9i or 10G) using "alter database standby logfile …".

A very good question, to which the answer is (probably, because I don't have a database to hand to test it) almost certainly not. A standby logfile is only meaningful when LGWR is going to ship redo to the standby site. LGWR can only be configured to do that by using the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameters. Those parameters are only configurable in Enterprise Edition.

So even if you are allowed to create a standby log in Standard Edition, they can't actually be used for anything. Which is why I earnestly hope and expect that you won't be allowed to create them in the first place.

> Can
> maximum availability protection mode be simulated? Can database be
> opened in read only mode for reporting in physical standby?

Yes to the open in read only mode question. It's been do-able since 8i.

> I am
> assuming logical standby database is not available in standard
> edition.

You assume correctly.

HJR