Simulating dataguard maximum availability protection mode in Oracle 9i or 10G standard edition

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2004 20:49:45 -0700

I have never used Oracle's standard edition but may be interested in using it because of its low price and its inclusion of RAC in Oracle 10G. I have
several questions on Oracle's standard edition on Windows or UNIX/Linux.

  1. Is Oracle standard edition available for Oracle9i? When I looked at technet.oracle.com, I saw Standard Edition in Oracle10G but not in Oracle9i.
  2. I know Oracle Data Guard is not provided in standard edition, but standby database can still be implemented since Oracle 7.3.x. My question is can standby redo logs be created in standard edition (Oracle9i or 10G) using "alter database standby logfile …". Can maximum availability protection mode be simulated? Can database be opened in read only mode for reporting in physical standby? I am assuming logical standby database is not available in standard edition.

Thanks a lot in advance for any responses.

Prem Received on Sat Aug 21 2004 - 22:49:45 CDT