Schema/Change Manager product for 100+ cloned instances.

From: JEDIDIAH <jedithezealot_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2004 10:01:43 -0700

Where can I find a schema management tool efficient and automated enough to manage changes between 100+ databases all running the same application (and thus the same schema)?

Such a tool would not require user intervention in the process of schema updates unless some serious error conditions occured. Schema updates would be automated, auditable and recoverable so long as no errors occured.

The idea would be for the tool to have O(c) complexity rather than O(n).

I have been previously using Oracle's change management pack. However, that product will unlikely scale to the number of instances I will be managing in future. While it has some nice features, it requires far too much UI babysitting.

The more schemas you want to update, the more dba time the total update process will take.

  1. Selection of destination instances is painfully crude.
  2. Destinations can't be grouped based on deployment level or application.
  3. Each destination must be manipulated manually regardless of how trivial the changes are.

A suitable tool would allow for creation of new changes based on templates (Create Like) and fully automated operation so long as exceptions or warnings don't occur. It would be also nice if "fatal exceptions" could be configured (So you don't necessarily stop when a column is already created). It would also be nice if changes could be grouped together as patchsets and executed together.

The tool should only consider schema changes and should be configurable to ignore the sort of tablespace & storage option differences that might occur between dev vs. production instances. Received on Thu Aug 19 2004 - 12:01:43 CDT