Re: recovery strategies for multi-terabyte database

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:20:51 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:19:54 +0200, Anton Dischner <nospam_at_nospam.org>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > we do daily exp of smaller systems and weekly exp of larger systems.
> >
> > Restoring a table and merging into production is rather easy.
> >
> > imp fromuser=... touser=<not the original> table=...
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Toni
>
> I am probably taking your comments out of context, but export/import
> should not be regarded as a viable backup/recovery mechanism. It has a
> role to play, of course. And as such I would have no problem seeing it as
> a *part* of a backup strategy. Your post, however, makes it sound like
> that's *all* you do, and that is neither safe nor sensible. There must be
> a physical backup component in there somewhere, not just a logical one, if
> you actually value your data.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> >> For large mission critical systems:
> >>
> >> EMC Snapview once a week or month.
> >> RMAN incrementals during weekdays to local disk.
> >> Save your archive logs to tape (2 copies) shipped offsite.

Especially with a multi-terabyte database....Thats a LOT of export files :-)

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"