Re: recovery strategies for multi-terabyte database

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:05:03 +1000

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:19:54 +0200, Anton Dischner <nospam_at_nospam.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we do daily exp of smaller systems and weekly exp of larger systems.
>
> Restoring a table and merging into production is rather easy.
>
> imp fromuser=... touser=<not the original> table=...
>
> Greetings,
>
> Toni

I am probably taking your comments out of context, but export/import should not be regarded as a viable backup/recovery mechanism. It has a role to play, of course. And as such I would have no problem seeing it as a *part* of a backup strategy. Your post, however, makes it sound like that's *all* you do, and that is neither safe nor sensible. There must be a physical backup component in there somewhere, not just a logical one, if you actually value your data.

Regards
HJR