Re: ORA-04030: out of process memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:27:34 +1000

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:32:01 GMT, AK <ak_at_ak.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an application that runs nicely for many days and then eventually
> it throws this error:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: ORA-04030: out of process memory when
> trying to allocate 57868 bytes (hash-join subh,kllcqas:kllsltba)
>
> I have googled and metalinked this error and have learnt the following:
>
> - the oracle process which is servicing the session for this app is
> trying to allocate memory for the PGA and is unable to
> - this allocation request is governed by the sort_area_size setting
> - the problem may be rectified by reducing the sort area size to lower
> the demand on physical memory
>
> Does that sound about right?
>
> I am confused because the box running oracle (9.2.0.4) is actually
> showing that 70% of memory buffers are free and that only 5% of swap is
> used. What worries me is that swap is being used at all when there is
> so much memory free. This is on RedHat AS with the latest 2.4 kernel as
> pulled down via up2date.
>
> Also, the alert log shows no errors *at all*. What gives? I would have
> thought that if an oracle process was unable to malloc then it would be
> in alert log? How come the application is the place where the error
> appears?
>
> thanks,
> -A

Just to clarify... given that you are on 9i, are you absolutely certain you are using sort_area_size as the PGA's sizing parameter? The new(ish) 9i alternative is to use the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET parameter to have the PGA managed automatically and dynamically.

If you aren't using PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, then perhaps you should be.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Aug 11 2004 - 03:27:34 CDT