Re: Help: 10g on Fedora Core 2, ORA-27125

From: David Freeman <$d$a$v$i$d$_at_nospam.davidfreeman.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:30:27 -0700

On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:36:33 -0700, andi wrote:

> Hi All,
> I installed Oracle 10g (10.1.0.2) on Fedora Core 2 (kernel 2.6.6.x),
> RAM: 512 MB swap 1GB.
> followed the instructions at www.dizwell.com, the software
> installation went smoothly, but then when I tried to create a database
> using dbca, there's an error message: ORA-27125 unable to create share
> memory segment.
> Tried to export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 as suggested at OTN linux forum
> with no luck.
>
> Any other way to solve the problem?
>
> TIA,
> andi

I successfully installed the Oracle 10g software on Fedora Core 2 today and found the same error, which persisted even after I followed the dizwell.com instructions regarding kernel memory, checked gcc-related, rpm-installed executables, and all the other preinstall steps. I got the error, then following supplementary instructions exported the environment variable DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 as you did.

Renaming the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle executable to oracle.bin and then creating a script that invokes it and ensures that this variable is utilized:

This from http://www.orafaq.com/msgboard/linux/messages/568.htm :

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin

mv oracle oracle.bin

cat >oracle <<"EOF"
#!/bin/bash

export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1
exec $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle.bin $@
EOF   chmod +x oracle

I then ran dbca and it worked to create a generic data warehousing database, just moments after it had *not* worked when the DISABLE_HUGETLBFS variable had been set

You may get errors when running dbca if it stopped somewhere around 48%.

If you've just installed the software and you switched out your /etc/redhat-release file out instead of editing Disk1/install/oraparam.ini file, don't forget to switch it back so that your OS knows its name!

I hope this sets you right; please repost to the newsgroup to confirm.

Sincerely looking for a job right now,

David Freeman

--
David Freeman