Re: Help: 10g on Fedora Core 2, ORA-27125

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 7 Aug 2004 15:33:43 -0700

David Freeman <$d$a$v$i$d$@nospam.davidfreeman.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.08.07.17.30.25.953782_at_nospam.davidfreeman.net>...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:36:33 -0700, andi wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > I installed Oracle 10g (10.1.0.2) on Fedora Core 2 (kernel 2.6.6.x),
> > RAM: 512 MB swap 1GB.
> > followed the instructions at www.dizwell.com, the software
> > installation went smoothly, but then when I tried to create a database
> > using dbca, there's an error message: ORA-27125 unable to create share
> > memory segment.
> > Tried to export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 as suggested at OTN linux forum
> > with no luck.
> >
> > Any other way to solve the problem?
> >
> > TIA,
> > andi
>
> I successfully installed the Oracle 10g software on Fedora Core 2 today
> and found the same error, which persisted even after I followed
> the dizwell.com instructions regarding kernel memory, checked
> gcc-related, rpm-installed executables, and all the other
> preinstall steps. I got the error, then following supplementary
> instructions exported the environment variable DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 as you
> did.
>
> Renaming the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle executable to oracle.bin and then
> creating a script that invokes it and ensures that this variable is
> utilized:
> This from http://www.orafaq.com/msgboard/linux/messages/568.htm :
> cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
>
> mv oracle oracle.bin
>
> cat >oracle <<"EOF"
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1
> exec $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle.bin $@
> EOF
>
> chmod +x oracle

> I then ran dbca and it worked to create a generic data warehousing
> database, just moments after it had *not* worked when the
> DISABLE_HUGETLBFS variable had been set
> = 1. As with other first-time, one-off installations of the Oracle
> software on Linux, I am somewhat unsure that this is the turnkey measure
> for getting a database created just because it is the last thing I did.
>
> You may get errors when running dbca if it stopped somewhere around 48%.
>
> If you've just installed the software and you switched out your
> /etc/redhat-release file out instead of editing Disk1/install/oraparam.ini
> file, don't forget to switch it back so that your OS knows its name!
>
> I hope this sets you right; please repost to the newsgroup to confirm.
>
> Sincerely looking for a job right now,
>

> David Freeman
> http://www.davidfreeman.net/DavidFreemanResume.txtOn Tue, 01 Jun 2004
> 21:39:34 +0200, Igor Racic wrote:

Renaming the oracle executable to oracle.bin and writing a wrapper script was unnecessary since you could easily place the 'export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1' code in the .profile or .bash_profile for the oracle Linux user account, thus setting it without the workaround you coded.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat Aug 07 2004 - 17:33:43 CDT