Moving a complete oracle 8i database to a new location

From: Anand R <anand_radhakrishnan_at_syntelinc.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2004 05:16:59 -0700

Hello all,

I have a production database running on Windows NT Server. I have been asked to replicate the database for the development server running on Windows 2000 Professional. I have no hands on experience on moving a database completely. I have taken the copies of the datafiles, redo logs, control files and password file from the production.

I have a very vague idea to go ahead with the next step. I have installed oracle on the new machine and have opted for not creating a database during the installation. So there are no instances running and no database mounted. I thought that this was a good occassion for me to learn setting up a database from scratch.

If anyone could please guide me step by step on the procedures to be followed, I'll be extremely thankful for the help. I was recommended to this group by many experts in my company. Please help me to find a solution to the problem as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Anand PR. Received on Fri Aug 06 2004 - 07:16:59 CDT