Re: Moving a complete oracle 8i database to a new location

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 6 Aug 2004 14:51:10 GMT

anand_radhakrishnan_at_syntelinc.com (Anand R) wrote in news:c89bc19b.0408060416.296084ab_at_posting.google.com:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a production database running on Windows NT Server. I have been
> asked to replicate the database for the development server running on
> Windows 2000 Professional. I have no hands on experience on moving a
> database completely. I have taken the copies of the datafiles, redo
> logs, control files and password file from the production.
>
> I have a very vague idea to go ahead with the next step. I have
> installed oracle on the new machine and have opted for not creating a
> database during the installation. So there are no instances running
> and no database mounted. I thought that this was a good occassion for
> me to learn setting up a database from scratch.
>
> If anyone could please guide me step by step on the procedures to be
> followed, I'll be extremely thankful for the help. I was recommended
> to this group by many experts in my company. Please help me to find a
> solution to the problem as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Anand PR.

Create the same directories that the prod db is using on the dev server and put all the datafiles there.

Copy the init/spfiles to the same location on the dev server.

Create the same instance service name with oradim.

Start the service.

At this point you may want to rename the dbname and generate a new dbid especially if you plan to include this db's information in an rman repository as part of your backup strategy. Rman doesn't like multiple databases with the same dbid if you're using a repository.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email