Re: Which Protocol to use?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 17:56:15 -0700

"Syltrem" <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message news:<6I8Oc.682$KF.4488_at_tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
> Both BEQ and TCP should give the same performance, but BEQ for clients on
> the same machine as your db server may be a better choice.
> BEQ is a "more direct" way to communicate. I don't know what principle it
> uses on Unix (OpenVMS is my religion) but if you use TCP you get in
> concurrence with all other TCP traffic. On heavily loaded networks, this may
> impact your Oracle throughput.

In the past, it was considered to be not a best practice to use tcp on unix systems for local connections, because you would get cpu and network i/o overhead. I never determined if it was a myth, but took it as gospel since it came out of vendors such as sun and there were pre-net8 parameters having to do with IPC. And pretty much everything I've ever seen from vendors uses beq, with the strange exception of OAS IIRC. http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0101/SunOracle.pdf

> Here for local clients I use BEQ, for all others I use TCP.
> I once had a performance problem (in the beginning) and had to set
> TCP.NODELAY=TRUE in PROTOCOL.ORA, but after that I had the exact same
> performance using either one.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Syltrem
>
> OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
> http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)
> ---zulu is not in my email address---
> "Joe" <yung103_at_netvigator.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I read from a performance tuning book that the protocol being used by the
> > listener and tnsnames can affect the performance too, sometimes this will
> > even lead to serious performance issue. And the DBA uses PROTOCOL=BEQ
> > instead of PROTOCOL=TCP to solve the problem.
> >
> > I always use PROTOCOL=TCP no matter when the client and server located.
> The
> > finding in the book makes me think of something.
> >
> > If the client and server are on the same machine, says UNIX, which
> PROTOCOL
> > will be the best in term of performance?
> >
> > And where can I find more information about it?
> >
> > Thanks in advanced.
> >
> > Joe

jg

--