Re: Which Protocol to use?

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:30:28 -0400

Both BEQ and TCP should give the same performance, but BEQ for clients on the same machine as your db server may be a better choice. BEQ is a "more direct" way to communicate. I don't know what principle it uses on Unix (OpenVMS is my religion) but if you use TCP you get in concurrence with all other TCP traffic. On heavily loaded networks, this may impact your Oracle throughput.

Here for local clients I use BEQ, for all others I use TCP. I once had a performance problem (in the beginning) and had to set TCP.NODELAY=TRUE in PROTOCOL.ORA, but after that I had the exact same performance using either one.

HTH

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)
---zulu is not in my email address---
"Joe" <yung103_at_netvigator.com> a écrit dans le message de

> Hi All,
>
> I read from a performance tuning book that the protocol being used by the
> listener and tnsnames can affect the performance too, sometimes this will
> even lead to serious performance issue. And the DBA uses PROTOCOL=BEQ
> instead of PROTOCOL=TCP to solve the problem.
>
> I always use PROTOCOL=TCP no matter when the client and server located.
The
> finding in the book makes me think of something.
>
> If the client and server are on the same machine, says UNIX, which
PROTOCOL