Re: Oracle10g SYS Logon - Urgent

From: Tim Huckabay <tim_huckabay_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 15:29:50 -0700

mvenkatsriram_at_yahoo.com (venkat) wrote in message news:<5d831413.0407290437.3487c19a_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am a developer. I am using Oracle10g. I have created database,
> tables etc...
> I have installed Oracle10g on Linux and i am trying to access the
> tables, procedures from windows. So i downloaded the Oracle Manager
> for windows and configured. when i test the connection in Oracle
> Manager I tried to logged in as SYS and password. but it throwed an
> error
> ORA-28009: connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper
>
> when i notice 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY through SHOW PARAMETER it
> showed FALSE
> what i have to do to make it TRUE. I have also tried Addding the
> 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY = TRUE in Init.ora files.
>
> I am unable to connect to the database through my connection string.
> If i am wrong Please educate me.
>
> I also use connection string
> driver={Oracle ODBC Driver};UID=SYS;PWD=password;DBQ=Servicename;DBA=W
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Venkat
> Brij DataLink P Ltd
> Chennai
> India

With Oracle 9i and above, you can't connect as sys without also using the 'as sysdba' method. But you really don't need to connect as sys much anyway. For development from Windows, sign in as system (password manager unless you changed it as part of your database creation procedure), immediately change SYSTEM's password (if it's still manager), then create some other user or users for you to use. On the Linux server, when you login as oracle and start sqlplus with '/ as sysdba', you'll be connected as sys, and can start the database.

Just for completeness, other than starting the database the only time you may need to connect as sys is to grant select on views owned by sys to an ID that you will use to run DBA stuff from. Many DBA tools, including SQL scripts you can find on the Web, require either 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY = TRUE or one of the new systems privs (SELECT ANY TABLE doesn't grant access to the dictionary views anymore, with 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY = FALSE), or explicit grants of select on specific views.

If updating init.ora doesn't seem to be taking effect, you probably used the DBCA or some such tool, which defaults to putting the parms into an "spfile" (system parameter file). this is a binary file, but on Linux you can see all the parameters in it using the strings command. It should be found in ?/dbs, file name spfile<SID>.ora Anyhoo, you change parameters in the spfile using "ALTER SYSTEM SET . . " command, see the Oracle SQL reference manual. Hope this helps. Received on Thu Jul 29 2004 - 17:29:50 CDT