Re: Oracle 10G for Solaris x86

From: UNIX admin <tripivceta_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:54:15 +0200

> Which standard package format is that then?
>
> The one that runs on Solaris,Linux,VMS,Win32,HPUX,Solaris x86,AIX...

Well, in case of Solaris, it'd be the System V `pkgadd` format. I guess I should have qualified my statement that the `pkgadd` refers to Solaris.

And it *really* isn't that much more work to build native packages. I write from experience: it takes all of 10 minutes (from start of packaging to installation) to package a piece of software for Solaris or IRIX after it's been compiled. This assumes one overcame the hurdles of developing initial prototype files, but since it's a one time thing, that's negligible. Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 00:54:15 CDT