Re: Oracle 10G for Solaris x86

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2004 13:56:02 -0700

"UNIX admin" <tripivceta_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<41073f85$0$1955$5402220f_at_news.sunrise.ch>...
> > Which standard package format is that then?
> >
> > The one that runs on Solaris,Linux,VMS,Win32,HPUX,Solaris x86,AIX...
>
> Well, in case of Solaris, it'd be the System V `pkgadd` format.
> I guess I should have qualified my statement that the `pkgadd` refers to
> Solaris.
>
> And it *really* isn't that much more work to build native packages. I write
> from experience: it takes all of 10 minutes (from start of packaging to
> installation) to package a piece of software for Solaris or IRIX after it's
> been compiled. This assumes one overcame the hurdles of developing initial
> prototype files, but since it's a one time thing, that's negligible.

Of course, the bit about testing it on every possible configuration and making sure it works for all OS's for all time to come even when vendors change which compilers they supply and how makefiles work, doesn't count in build time.

Is Oracle even compiled to what you call compiled before it is shipped? If not, should it be?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Netscape?  http://www.netscapestore.com/products/software