Re: Linker concerns while installing and distributing to other machines - patching later

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2004 16:20:17 -0700

jason.buchanan_at_gmail.com (Jason Buchanan) wrote in message news:<5f258456.0407210441.33fe1ffd_at_posting.google.com>...
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<8g7rf0dsmek118h3sa9u5fu7oo2aa298ih_at_4ax.com>...
>
> > >Which brings up another point - what happens when you apply the
> > >recommended patch bundle a year after the initial install of Oracle -
> > >what happens to all of those things that Oracle linked against 12
> > >months prior?
> >
> > You might want to relink Oracle after patching, depending on the
> > patches installed.
>
> Good point - is this documented somewhere in the Oracle documentation?
> I have spidered the 9.2 documentation CD with htdig for easy
> reference but am not having any luck with how to relink after patching
> the OS.

There is much more documentation available from metalink - note all the places in the install guide where it says to check online for updates. This might answer your questions and give you something for your boss:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=131321.1

I would go further than most and say never try to shortcut unix or oracle installations. You could be setting a time-bomb. Even if the thing works, it could be set to fail when you try to patch or hit some obscure library code, and for the unix install you might be skipping an important system check.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Rarity does not imply value.