Re: maximum number of columns per table

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:37:11 -0700

Jeremy wrote:

> In article <1090301352.683762_at_yasure>, Daniel Morgan says...
>

>>There is just about no excuse for having more than 50 columns in a table.
>>

> Why is that then? If I have an object that has (say) 80 attributes how
> would you suggest that it should be modeled? I am looking at a table
> here with 193 columns and, whilst it appears ungainly, it reflects the
> need.

I'd have to know more and as I said to Galen "just about" means it is not a hard and fast rule.

But to answer your question:

CREATE TABLE parent (
obj_id NUMBER,
obj_name VARCHAR2(30));

CREATE TABLE attribute (
obj_id NUMBER,
attrnum NUMBER(2),
attrval VARCHAR2(10));

Is one way to approach the problem.

As I stated before ... think vertically ... not horizontally.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 20 2004 - 21:37:11 CDT