Re: maximum number of columns per table

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:34:02 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>

>>There is just about no excuse for having more than 50 columns
>>in a table.

> We have an application where the source of data is summary
> information. We get sent files with columns like, this_mth,
> last_mth and two_mths_ago and beginning_of_time. One of our
> charters with our clients is that we have the ability to report
> what is sent us. All above attributes have the same primary key.
> A couple of our tables have well over 100 columns.
>

>>If you think otherwise I would suggest you take a class on
>>relational database architecture and normalization.

> I doubt it states the <= 50 requirement.

I intentionally inserted the waffle phrase "just about" because there are some valid reasons to have more than 50.

But as a point of view it should be the exception and should be due to a compelling reason. Which in the case of the OP and the desire to have more than 1,000 columns is in my opinion, non-existent.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 20 2004 - 21:34:02 CDT