Re: Forgot the password for scott

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:34:04 GMT

AK wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am using oracle 9i on my desktop. While playing with SQL, I modified
> the password for user scott to something else and forgot it. Is there
> a way to login as DBA using SQL Plus to modify the password for scott.
> The problem is, I dont have any knowledge about other accounts on this
> server, where in I can login and modify the password. I tried logging
> in as sys/system, but I am unable to login. Can anyone suggest a way
> (syntax) to login as DBA and modify the password for scott. The system
> I am using is just a testing machine I am playing with. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Vik!

As the userid that installed Oracle, in a DOS box:

SQLPLUS /NOLOG    CONNECT / AS SYSDBA
   ALTER USER SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY newpassword;    EXIT; The connect as ultra-super-duper user "/" (which is really SYS) is a last resort. Under normal circumstances you would do

SQLPLUS SYSTEM/system_password

   ALTER USER SCOTT IDENTIFIED BY newpassword;    EXIT; While in SQL Plus, you may need to unlock SCOTT using

   ALTER USER SCOTT ACCOUNT UNLOCK; (The indents are to indicate this gets typed into SQLPLUS.)

You really should consider spending a bit more time in the ORACLE CONCEPTS manual and skip the ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATION manual at http://docs.oracle.com

HTH
/Hans Received on Sun Jul 18 2004 - 16:34:04 CDT