Re: oracle - mysql comparison

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:10:21 -0700

jonathan wrote:

> hey all,
>
> I realize that this question might pop up from time to time, but I
> haven't seen it a while and things might of changed, so -
>
> Right now (July 2004) how does mysql stand up in comparison to oracle?
> We are seriously considering migrating our multi-processor oracle
> system to mysql to save on licensing costs, and would need several
> features that mysql may or may not have:
>
> - replication
> - archive logging
> - interoperability with oracle/database links with oracle
> - PL/SQL type language/stored procedures
> - roles
> - oracle migration scripts/conversion
> - embedded java API
> - partitioning/tablespace assignment
> - import/export tools
> - equivalent oracle datatypes
> - multi-processor support
> - performance (relatively equivalent or better)
>
> In addition, have any oracle DBAs out there gone through the
> conversion process between mysql and oracle? If so, what were the
> gotchas/catches that you went through? What are features that are
> there that you like or feel are missing? I apologize in advance for
> the cross-post, but I did want to get as wide a range of opinion as
> possible..
>
> Thanks much,
>
> jon

No comparison and you have missed the most important questions you should be concerned about unless you are running a hotdog stand.

  1. Where to we call for support if there is a problem we can't solve?
  2. How do we recover transactions that occur between the last backup and the time when the system fails?
  3. Can we recover from object and/or file corruption?

Very simply ... ask your management what the cost is to the company for every hour the system is unavailable. Then compare that to the less than $800 cost for licensing Oracle SE1.

But if you truly need EE capabilities such as partitioning then stick with Oracle. You won't find it anywhere else.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jul 08 2004 - 20:10:21 CDT