Re: jdk version - oracle 9i R2 windows

From: eric <oups_at_noop.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:45:52 +0200

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> a écrit dans le message de news:p0OEc.35433$l6.14547_at_clgrps12...
> eric wrote:
>

> > Maybe can you give me some reasons ?
>
> Regardless what you may think or believe, Oracle has tested OEM using
1.1.8
> and is apparently satisfied enough with the stability to provide support.

The reason I asked is after installing 9iR2, and playing 5 minutes with OEM, I noticed in the task manager I had 2 jrew.exe. I closed OEM, and killed the remaining jrew.exe

> So - my answer is "Probably because that is the one they support."
>
> As far as I can tell, the newer versions of OEM use newer versions of the
> JDK. ANd they install the newer JDK for reasons other than OEM.

Yeah, absolutely, we get 1.3.1 and 1.1.8 at install time, and if I understand your comment, the newer versions of OEM use 1.3.1, but that was not due to the necessity to modify OEM to use 1.3.1 :-).

And if OEM were very stable with 1.1.8, why not for the other Oracle components. I'm not a pusher for using absolutely the last version, but it was a surprise to see such a discrepancy between the components.

> (I am personally very pleased when an organization locks in all the
> components to a set that is known to work, and provides appropriate
patches
> on that set. Otherwise we'd end up with sonething similar to the DLL
> anarchy we enjoy in the Windows world.)
> I still don't understand why you want to change to one that is not proven
> work. Or, another way of asking that - Why do you think you understand
> Oracle's OEM-JDK requirements better than Oracle does?

Oracle installs a 1.1.8, so let be satisfied with that and do not ask why ... So far, the "master in the world" for Java remains SUN :-) And Sun does not support anymore 1.1.8 ... so my question... this JDK-OEM issue seems pretty hot for Oracle staff, isn't it ? Received on Thu Jul 01 2004 - 16:45:52 CDT