Re: What are stored procedures for?

From: colin_lyse <colin_lyse_at_yahsd.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2004 16:42:38 -0500

In article <f2ca5893.0407010953.470c9bf5_at_posting.google.com>, come_try_at_yahoo.com (CT) wrote:
>Stored procedures and functions are coded on the database side. They
>are stored on the database. Also, doing this they are tied down to the
>database that you are coding on.
>
>What are the advantages of using these as compared to plain jdbc/odbc
>statemetn.
>
>Might be a controversial question but needs an answer :)
>
>Thanks.
>
>CT.

it depends on whether you are JAVA centric or Oracle centric.

if you want code to run on any database you write using jbdc/odbc.

if you are standarized on Oracle and want to have best performance than why bother with jbdc/odbc.

at my company we have 250 Oracle instances running on machines from our IBM mainframe cluster (48 cpus and 32 gig ram, 64tb DASD) to desktops. we have tons of massive unix Starfire servers with dozens of CPUs each running multiple Oracle databases.

So we are heavily Oracle centeric. All our web apps use a Oracle backends calling stored procedures as needed.

Code in stored procedures running directly on the database will run faster, have access to all oracle features, etc. it gives much tighter control over everything. this is espcially important when we have to work with databases with billions of rows (one has a table, massily partitioned, with 2 billion rows, that we need to do all kinds of analysis on, we need to use all kinds of oracle features and need it fast. Received on Thu Jul 01 2004 - 16:42:38 CDT