Re: Windows ASM and DBCA in 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:08:45 +1000

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:40E2C96B.1983_at_yahoo.com...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> >
> > "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > on!

> > > I've just tried the following...
> > >
> > > a) created asm service
> > >
> > > oradim.exe -new -asmsid +am1 -startmode manual -spfile

I should really learn to read, shouldn't I? There you are, using the -ASMSID switch all along. Which I didn't.

> I chose +am1 only because I was following the initial post of Chris's
> about a leading '+'. But I didn't want to go with the default name in
> case I got lucky with it being a special case.

> But other than that, it just went as expected...albeit I didn't actually
> go ahead and create disk group and then the database. When I get Vmware
> installed on the laptop I'll give it a "proper" go.

It's the ASMSID switch. Which you used, and should have told me the answer immediately, but I didn't read closely enough. And which Chris eventually had to draw to my attention explicitly.

Doh.
Doh.
Doh.
Doh.
Doh.
Doh.

Oh well, you live and learn. ASM will work perfectly well with an instance that's created without the ASMSID switch, but DBCA won't see it. But *with* the ASMSID, it also works perfectly well, and DBCA *will* see it, and the name can be anything at all: +FRED is seen, for example. The only issue seems to be the odd protocol adapter error when working with non-+ASM names. I'll look into it more when I get back... but DBCA is at least looking to contact something now, instead of just baldly stating no ASM instance exists.

So we got there in the end, and you and Chris deserve a medal for persistence.

Thank you both, very much

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 17:08:45 CDT